Iasi International Airport is located 8 km away from the city center and is operating direct flights from/to:
– Bucharest, Tel Aviv, London, Turin, Rome, Bologna (TAROM)
– Viena (Austrian Airlines)
– Treviso, Bergamo (Wizz Air)
– Paris, Bruxelles, Valencia, Madrid, Malaga, Barcelona, Catania, Florenta, Koln, Stuttgart, Larnaca, Dublin, Liverpool (Blue Air)
|Iasi Airport – Terminal 2||Iasi Airport||Iasi Airport – Terminal 1|
Iasi is the city of great ideas, of the first Great Union, of the first theatrical performance in Romanian and of the first literary memorial museum (Bojdeuca din Ticau). Iasi is still undoubtedly the cultural capital of the country.
In the city, on the hill of Copou, is the oldest university in Romania, University of Iasi, called today the University “Alexandru Ioan Cuza”. Founded in 1860 by decree of Ruler Alexandru Ioan Cuza, following of the old Mihaileanu Academy, the university has 15 faculties today, with over 40,000 students. The main building, architectural monument, was built in 1896.
In the city, there are also other education institutions: University of Agronomy, Technical University with over 25,000 students, the University of Medicine and Pharmacy, University of Arts and Petre Andrei University with a new building, modern, besides many other private universities with impressive headquarters.
|The Palace of Culture||“Vasile Alecsandri” National Theater||“Unirii” Museum|
In the interwar period, in Eminescu Square, was build the Royal Cultural Foundation building, which now houses the Central University Library Mihai Eminescu, with a collection of books that is nearing three million copies, some extremely rare.
Iasi is the second university center in the country, attracting students like a magnet. Main campus students are in Tudor Vladimirescu (22 buildings), Titu Maiorescu (4 buildings), Targusor-Copou (4 buildings), Codrescu (5 buildings and Gaudeamus building for international students) and Agronomy (4 buildings).
|The Palace of Culture|
|This remarkable construction (1906-1925), built in flamboyant neogothic style, stands partly on the ruins of a medieval royal court mentioned in documents dating from 1434.
Today, the 365-room palace houses the Gheorghe Asachi Library and four of the city’s museums: the Moldavian History Museum, the Ethnographic Museum, the Museum of Art and the Museum of Science and Technology.
The interior décor, with the lavish furnishings and magnificent staircase of the entrance lobby, can be admired free of charge, but tickets are required for entry to the museums.
|“Vasile Alecsandri” National Theater|
|Built in the late 19th century on the site of the old City Hall, this is one of the most elegant buildings in Romania. The architects were the Viennese Feller and Helmer who later built theatres in Cernauti and Sofia. Richly decorated in French-eclectic style, the theater has one of the most splendid auditoriums in the country. It can seat 1,000 people and the acoustics are excellent. The interior has impressive architecture and design elements: The Curtain painted in 1896 by M. Lenz; the Iron Curtain and the ceiling painted by Al. Goltz; the 109 lights chandelier from Venice.
The theater bears the name of the company’s founder, Vasile Alecsandri (1821-1890), a renowned Romanian poet, playwright, politician and diplomat.
|“Al. I. Cuza” University|
|The “Al.I. Cuza” Iasi University is the oldest higher education institution in Romania, founded one year after the establishment of the Romanian state, by an 1860 decree of Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza.
The Hall of the University, known as The Hall of the Lost Footsteps, served as a parliamentary debating chamber between 1917 and 1918 when, during the Great War, Iași was the capital of Romania. In 1967, the painter Sabin Bălaşa started creating a series of strongly romanticized frescoes for the arcades.
In 2008, for the third year in a row, the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University was placed first in the national research ranking compiled on the basis of Shanghai criteria. In the 2012 QS World University Rankings, it was included in Top 700 universities of the world. Today the university is made up of 15 faculties with more than 25.000 students.
|Central University Library|
|Located at the base of Copou Hill, this triangular building with Doric columns and cupola was built between 1930 and 1935 to serve as the headquarters of King Ferdinand’s Cultural Foundation. The building was decorated with Carrara marble and Venetian mosaics.
By 1945, the Foundation library had become one of the biggest in the country with more than 300,000 volumes.
Today, the library is the largest in Moldavia, with a great number of manuscripts and old books from the 15th to the 19th centuries.
| Dating from 1856 and covering some 250 acres, Iasi’s Botanical Garden is the oldest and largest in Romania.
An educational and scientific laboratory, the garden houses a precious and rich collection of trees and plants. It also offers numerous shady lanes to explore, rose and orchid gardens, a collection of tropical plants, cacti, carnivorous plants, natural springs and a lake.
|Roznovanu Palace – City Hall|
| This neoclassical Viennese-style palace was built in 1832 to the design of Gustav Frey Wald. Its façade was decorated with marble statues of mythological characters such as Diana and Apollo and it was said to be grander than all other mansions in Iasi. The palace burned down in 1844 and was rebuilt by Nicolae Rosetti Rozvaneanu.
In 1891, the building became the City Hall but two years later, was transformed into a royal residence. Today, it once again serves as the City Hall.
Built in Italian Renaissance style, the St. Paraschiva Metropolitan Cathedral is the largest Orthodox church in Romania. Construction began in 1833 and ended in 1839, but its cupolas fell and the church remained in ruins until 1880, when, with the help of the Foundation of King Carol I, work started again, lasting until 1888.
In 1639, Vasile Lupu spent Moldavia’s budget for the following year and a half to acquire the relics of St. Paraschiva from Constantinopole. The relics were moved to the Metropolitan Cathedral in 1889 after a fire damaged the Trei Ierarhi Church where they had originally been placed.
Every October 14, pilgrims from all corners of Romania and neighboring countries flock to Iasi to kneel before the blue and gold bier containing the relics of Saint Paraschiva, the patron saint of the cathedral.
|Church of Three Hierarchs|
| The Church of the Three Hierarchs (constructed 1637 – 1639) is highlighted as a must-see in every guidebook.
Nothing can prepare you, though, for its stunning ornate decoration: the entire exterior of the church is covered in delicate and intricate patterns sculpted into the stone and spread over 30 friezes. This “stone embroidery” is a mixture of western gothic, Renaissance and Oriental motifs.Legend has it that the exterior was covered in gold, silver and lapis lazuli but centuries ago, when the Ottoman Empire tried to conquer Moldavia, the invaders sat the church on fire and melted all the gold.